Incorporating Existing Furnishings & Art Into Your Decorating Plan
Most Northern Virginia homeowners have a few treasured family heirlooms they can’t bear to part with whether it’s a chair, piece of art, or an accessory. Would you be surprised to know that it is possible to incorporate them into a new decorating plan without compromising style? It has to be done creatively and carefully, but it can be done and it can look absolutely fabulous.
Here are our tips on how to work your existing furnishings and art into your decorating plan.
- Balance the old with the new. When you bring an antique or dated piece into your scheme make sure you balance it with at least one other item from the same period. When mixing in new items, keep your colors cohesive and patterns complimentary.
- Re-upholster or refinish it. Doing this can breathe new life into an old treasured piece. You may love the shape of your grandmother’s old sofa, but the fabric is not your style, so change it! Or, take an old antique table or dresser and paint it or put a completely different stain on it for a completely new look.
- Create a gallery wall. When you have several pieces of existing artwork a great way to make visual impact is with a gallery wall. The key is to group them together by similar types of art or photographs. One way to create harmony is to change all or some of the frames.
- Repurpose it. Think beyond the item’s original purpose and how it might be better put to use in your current environment. Some great examples include repurposing and old table or dresser as a bathroom vanity, a bookcase as a bar, or a chest or trunk as a coffee table.
- Accessorize. Select your favorite books, trinkets and other art pieces and create a display on a table or bookshelf.
- Hire someone to help. A professional decorator can provide you with ideas you may never have considered. They can also offer unbiased advice since they don’t have any emotional attachment to the furnishings.
Are you experiencing a decorating dilemma? We are here to help! Please contact us today to set up a design consultation and let’s create a space together that you will love.
Signature Design Interiors provides customized decorating, remodeling and staging services for busy individuals and professionals who are looking for turnkey service. From start to finish, we handle ALL of the details for you from budgeting, drafting floor plans for fit and function, sourcing furnishings and remodeling materials, and finally project managing the entire back-end process of ordering, measuring and installing until the last detail is complete. We serve the Washington Metropolitan area including - Washington, DC; Northern Virginia – McLean, Vienna, Reston, Herndon, Arlington, Alexandria, Annandale, Burke, Tysons Corner, Centreville, Chantilly, Oakton, Falls Church, Clifton, Fairfax, Fairfax Station, Great Falls, Gainesville; Loudoun County - Ashburn, Brambleton, Dulles, Sterling, Leesburg Montgomery County MD - Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Silver Spring; Prince Georges County Maryland, MD - Bowie, Laurel, Upper Marlboro. We will also travel to assist with vacation homes.